Monday, August 23, 2010

Birthday Reflections

Since it’s my birthday I though it might be good to reflect on and really look at what I have to be thankful for. I wrote about the Gratitude Perspective a while back but haven’t touched on it since. It’s not that I haven’t been thinking about it or trying to practice it, I just haven’t really been able to figure out how to fit it into a blog post. However, with it being my birthday it seemed like an appropriate time to stop and reflect.


First of all, my biggest blessing is my husband. If it wasn’t for Jeff I don’t know what shape I would be in. He is truly my rock. I have never felt as though I deserve him but I can’t even put into words how much I love him and appreciate him and all he does. Then, I have my doggies who give me so much joy. We are so lucky to be in position to have our furbabies.

Just in the past few months I have been able to reconnect with my Aunt Lynn and cousins, Gwen and Vanessa. I haven’t talked with them in years and it has been wonderful catching up, remembering good times and creating new memories.

I also think it is import to look at those things that we all often take for granted. The fact that we both have jobs is amazing, and the fact that we work in a country that protects workers from exploitation and inhumane conditions is something we don’t always remember to be thankful for. I am lucky to work in a beautiful, climate controlled building, and I am rarely ever expected to work more than 40 hours a week. While as a social worker my wages may not be on the high side, I am still able to put a roof over my head and can afford to find transportation (be it owning a car or using cabs or public transit) and feed and clothe myself. With my hubby’s income we are able to live what most people in 3rd world countries would consider a life of luxury. Heck, people in this country might feel the same way. We have air conditioning and heating, indoor plumbing, electricity, cable TV, internet, iPhones, computers, an iPad and so on. We have A LOT to be thankful for.

To top it off, I had to go to my first therapy appointment with my new insurance and found out that ALL OUTPAITENT MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES are covered 100%, therefore there is NO COPAY! This includes my Psychiatrist appointments and my therapy appointments! That is HUGE for us because my mental health Dr. visits are what cost us the most as far as health care costs. That was probably the biggest birthday present I got today. Of course, even with copays I am thankful to just have health insurance especially when many don’t. Plus, there are even more people throughout the world that don’t even have access to basic medical care. When I say basic medical care I mean that there are large numbers of people in Africa that DIE from diarrhea. The likelihood of that happening to any of us is almost nil. Hell, my dogs get better medical care than many of the people in third world countries.

Another thing that I often feel grateful for is my education. There have been many clients on my case load over the years that either could not read at all or whose reading skills were at a level with which they could barely function in society. I am so thankful for the opportunities that I have had to further my education and better myself. I am no where near the smartest person or most educated person on the block, but I have had opportunities that many will never get and I am forever grateful for that.

I have lived another year and hope to live another more. Maybe I can make this the year of gratitude.

Tiny Giraffe Kisses To Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment